The biggest change over the coming months will be disconnection of YouTube from Google+. The first step in that process is the separation of Google+ posts and YouTube comments. A Google+ share of a YouTube video will no longer appear as comment on that video, and the option to share a comment to Google+ will be removed. Sharing a video to Google+ will still be an option, but it probably won't be different from sharing to Facebook, Twitter, VK or any other social network. The process has just begun - don't delete your YouTube-connected Google+ Profile yet!
I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen with Google+ - I'm hoping that Google convinces people to choose to sign up and participate on Google+ because it's a place they find interesting and engaging.
Also this week, Hangouts updated with more (non-Google+) control of invites, AdSense and Blogger implemented changes to comply with the European Union cookie notification policy, and there are tips and tricks for photographers, video creators, local business customers and more. Read on!
Image: The way I envision Google+ moving from being a social layer over all Google products to standing on its own among the many.
Google+'s new focus and separation from YouTube
- Everything in its right place (Official Google Blog)
- Everything in its right place ( +Bradley Horowitz with more on the future of Google+)
- A journalist Getting It Right ( +Yonatan Zunger )
- Google+, or death of a vision ( +Masatake Wasa )
- Why I am Excited by Yesterday's Announcement about Google+ ( +John Skeats )
- Twitter is a ghost town (just like Google+)! (me)
- How a More Focused Google+ Could Succeed ( +Eli Fennell )
- Google+ is Alive and Well Despite Persistent Media Reports ( +Mike Elgan in eWeek)
- Why Google+ has to shrink to grow (The Verge)
- Google+ Isn't Dead, Will Continue As "Connection" Platform, Says Google (Marketing Land)
- Keeping the conversation going (Official YouTube blog)
Local Businesses on Google
- Google tells you when businesses are busy (or not) (Google)
- The Google Maps app now shows you when businesses are busiest (Google Maps)
- This week Google Photos is giving users who can come up with the right photo free waffles in New York City and will be coming to Los Angeles, Austin and Portland
- Want to be sure the images you use on social media or your blog or website come with no copyright issues or strings attached? Take your own stock photos! ( +Jaana Nyström )
YouTube and Video tips
- YouTube recaps #VidCon 2015 ( +YouTube Creators )
- Shoot great videos outdoors in sun, shade, and windy or noisy conditions ( +Tim Schmoyer )
Hangouts and Mobile Chat
- Hangouts update: new invite settings let you better control who can chat with you directly, and who must send you an invite ( +Jordanna Chord )
- OK Google: use voice commands to send a message via WhatsApp, Viber, WeChat and more!
EU Cookie Consent policy: Bloggers, Webmasters and AdSense Publishers
- Google Translate App update: more languages and faster, smoother voice translations (Google Inside Search Blog)
- Free social media icon set from dustn.tv for your blog or website (dustn.tv)
You can also subscribe to my weekly update by email.
Posted by Peggy K