Blogger got some nice updates in 2016, and there is a promise of more changes to come in 2017.
- Blogger dashboard was redesigned and the account interface was simplified
- HTTPS was enabled for all blogspot domain blogs
- Picasa Web Albums was retired - Blogger blog albums can now be found in your Album Archive
- Lambda expressions for more custom template flexibility
Why do I expect more good things to come? November's dashboard redesign was introduced as follows:
". . . we’ve heard that there’s more we can do to make the platform a better place to have your unique voice be heard. So we’ll be making some adjustments over time to bring you a faster, easier to use and more beautiful Blogger.I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.
To kick things off, we’ve taken a crack at simplifying Blogger’s dashboard so that it’s easier for you to get right to the tools you need."
In addition to the Blogger updates, Google Sites - which lets you easily make your own websites - got a major makover. The updated Google Sites became available to everyone in November.
For webmasters, Google Analytics got a big update in September on both desktop and mobile.
Also this year: Google search results became officially "AMP'd". Unfortunately Blogger doesn't currently support creating Accelerated Mobile Pages. Maybe in 2017? I can hope!
Read on for the full list of Blogger updates in 2016 and my favorite tips!
2016: the year in Blogger updates
- January Google Friend Connect now requires a Google login
- February Blogger “Export/Import” is now “Import & Back Up”
- March Google's official blogs get a custom domain! (yes, they are still using Blogger)
- April HTTPS coming to all Blogspot domain Blogger blogs in late April
- April Blogger post editor now has a "mixed content" warning tool to help you find and fix links without HTTPS
- May HTTPS now enabled on all blogspot domain blogs
- May Blogger template designers: new Lambda Expressions offer more custom template flexibility
- May Blogger's Google+ Settings now integrated with the other blog settings
- August Picasa Web Albums was retired, Blogger blog image albums are in the new Album Archive
- September Announcing turndown of the Google Feed API September 29th
- October Blogger update: Slideshow gadget retired, Search gadget searches blog only
- October The Keyword is the new blog for product news across Google (and doesn't use Blogger)
- November Towards a better Blogger: a new simplified dashboard and account design tweaks
Top Blogger Tips
Check out these great tips to learn more about using Blogger features.
- Where to find your blogs on the new Blogger dashboard
- Manage your Google+, Blogger, and Hangouts images in the Google Album Archive (me)
- Manage your Blogger blog's Google+ settings for profile, comments and sharing (me)
- How to set up AdSense to add advertising to your Blogger blog (me)
- Webmasters and bloggers: make sure the widgets on your site don't have unnatural links (Google Webmasters)
- Do you get free products to review? Here are blogging best practices from Google (Google Webmasters)
- Blogger post editor toolbar cheat sheet (Ms Drasby)
- Embed your YouTube live video or Hangout on Air on your Blogger blog (me)
- Embed a Google Calendar or Slides on your Blogger blog (Ms Drasby)
- Embedding videos from Google Drive (Ms Drasby)
- Make your background image responsive (So, how do I ...)
- Check / Edit FeedBurner Feed Details (Chuck Croll)
- Followers / Reading List Visibility (Chuck Croll)
- Move content between blogs (Chuck Croll)
- Setting up and troubleshooting your Blogger custom domain (Chuck Croll)
Want to keep up with all the Blogger updates and tips?
Follow my Blogger & Webmaster Tips Collection on Google+!
Posted by Peggy K