There was a change at the top for both products. At YouTube +Susan Wojcicki - formerly Google SVP for advertising - took over from +Salar Kamangar, while over on Google+ +Vic Gundotra was replaced by former Google+ VP of Engineering +Dave Besbris. I think it's still too early to say whether that represents a significant shift in direction, but their interviews at +Re/code give a sense of direction things are heading:
- New YouTube Boss Susan Wojcicki Talks Talent, Music and M&A
- New Google+ Head David Besbris: We're Here for the Long Haul
What was new for Google+ and YouTube in 2014?
As YouTube and Google+ become more integrated, many new features are only available to channels connected to Google+. It also means that YouTube Creators need to keep abreast of updates to Google+ as well as YouTube.
Here are the 2014 updates that I think most affected Google+-connected YouTube channels :
- New YouTube comment management tools
- Google+ Audience Settings and Blocking Tools
- YouTube Messages replaces the YouTube Inbox
- New Custom URLs for Google+ Pages, Profiles and YouTube channels
- YouTube Creator Studio mobile app
- Google+ Profile Name Policy updated
- Google My Business for Google+ Pages
- Import your videos from Google+ to YouTube